Mar. 14, 2008 The American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS) announces the results of its 2007 Procedural Data and since 2002, the average age for patients receiving invasive cosmetic surgery has increased.
From 2002 to 2007, the mean age of patients seeking the top ten most performed invasive procedures has increased by two years. The invasive procedures that have seen the largest increase include liposuction, sclerotherapy, facelift and forehead lift. Following suit with this trend, Botox®, the most popular non-invasive procedure, has experienced a two year increase in average age.
The aging population and the baby boomers are likely to be the driving force behind these increases. Baby boomers make up approximately 28% of the national population, according to 2006 census reports. Baby boomers fall in the 42-64 age range and the average age of those receiving invasive and non-invasive procedures are 42.6 and 42.4, respectively.
"Cosmetic surgeons are seeing anywhere between a one to three year increase in our patient's age," said Dr. Steven Hopping, MD, President of the AACS. "It appears that as baby boomers grow older, so does our clientele."
Of note among the findings: for the eighth year in a row, liposuction proved to be the nation's top cosmetic surgical procedure with Botox® injections being the top non-invasive cosmetic surgery procedure.
There has been a 13.7% increase in the percentage of men from 2002 to 2007 who have had cosmetic surgery, showing a growing trend among men. Among patients treated, 80% were women and 20% were male.
The report includes data on the prevalence of various cosmetic surgery procedures, with a breakdown of men and women. The survey also showed that of all cosmetic procedures performed, 23% were surgical, with the remaining 77% being non-surgical procedures.
The top three most performed cosmetic surgical procedures in 2007 include: liposuction, sclerotherapy, blepharoplasty; while the most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedures were Botox® injections, microdermabrasion and chemical peels.
The 2007 Procedural Data is based on a survey of U.S.-based AACS members completed in December 2007.
Other social bookmarking and sharing tools:
Note: Materials may be edited for content and length. For further information, please contact the source cited above.
Note: If no author is given, the source is cited instead.